INFORMATION TRANSFER (MORNING)
Today we learn about information transfer(non-linear to linear text).
TIPS ON HOW TO DO THE TASK
- Spend 5 minutes reading the graphs/charts etc.
- Make sure you understand axes.
- Make sure you follow lines on graphs.
- Focus on the key information.
- If have 2 graphs - compare.
- Think about the time period - tenses.
- Vary your vocabulary.
- Organize information clearly.
- Write neatly.
- Extract title from question and underline it.
- What does the stimuli present?
- Answer : A bar graph, diagram, pie chart, pictograph, newspaper headline or article, some notes, etc.
3) CONTROLLING IDEA & KEY FEATURES (CIKFs)
a) Identify key features
b) The MOST OUTSTANDING ideas from the stimuli
> CONTROLLING IDEA (CI) - What is the general trend of all the stimuli combined? Answer :
Increasing, Decreasing, Consistent or Fluctuating( NOTE : These are the FOUR main trends)
> You ARE NOT just LISTING ALL FEATURES and information from the stimuli but you have
to choose the MOST OUTSTANDING AND IMPORTANT details, you must be
SELECTIVE of which to include.
> External ASSUMPTION may be used if there is no correlation between the pie, graph and the
c) You can begin each paragraph with phrases like :
> According to the...
> Based on the...
> With reference to....
4) P(i) & P(ii)
a) PREDICTIONS (Pi)
- What future trend can you predict? Answer : If x happens then y will continue to increase,
decrease, stabilize or fluctuate.
b) PROPOSAL (Pii)
- What recommendation can you propose? Answer : The Government/Nation/United Nations can...
* Not compulsory but it will differentiate the higher bands from the lower ones
READING COMPREHENSION (NIGHT)
At night, we do reading comprehension with Miss Zu. Actually, night classes we always combine with class 2A. The title of the passage in the reading comprehension is H1N1. We have to read the passage, then, we have to answer the questions given below the passage. This activity is for the preparation for mid-term test.