Sunday, April 17, 2011

Last Class (14/4/2011)

          Today is our last class with Miss Zu as our BEL lecturer. Anyway, I an happy because there is no more class to attend to anymore. However, we need to study because final exam is just around the corner. 
Our class begins with Nabila's group presentation about future tense. Future tense is a verb tense or form that indicates action that has not yet begun. Then, Miss Zu gives us back our test paper on listening and writing. 
I am happy because I got high marks for each of the paper. Last but not least, we take picture with Miss Zu.
Goodbye, We'll miss you!

Poem About My Friend

This is the poem that Miss Zu ask us to do.

N - is for Name, a pretty one indeed.                   

U - is for Unique in her own way.

- is for Respect towards other people.

U - is for Understanding in every situation.

L - is for Life that you live so well.

A - is for Awesome, you simply amaze.

I - is for Interest, you show in others.

N - is For Natural, a joy to know.

I - is for Ideal for being my best friend.

Interpreting Writer's Point of View, Attitudes or Intentions

The writer's attitude towards an issue is shown through his/her tone uses in writing.
Example :
Neutral Attitude                                                               Biased
We have long been aware of the                                          We have long been aware that people
need to involve people for these                                           are being used for these abominable
medical tests                                                                        tests

Tones/Writer's use of words and writing styles to demonstrate his or her stand towards the issue :
a) Looking at word choice : positive, negative, neutral
b) Analyzing the phrasing used to describe an event : Is the author sarcastic? Does the author lay out
    facts with no opinions?
c) Considering how you feel when you read the text or even watch a video : What emotions have been
    evoked in you? Do you feel angry, sad or happy?

Example of Tone Words

Reasons/Purpose in Writing
> To persuade
> To inform
> To instruct
> To entertain
> To announce
> To explain

Argumentative Essay (5/4/2011)

> Brainstorm ideas on the subject.
> Identify the main topics.
> Use these topics as headings for organizing your notes
> Decide which side you are on i.e. which arguments are most convincing. Make sure you choose the side 
   that you can fully support. 
> Plan and write an outline for your essay noting down the information you will include in each paragraph.

> Introduce the topic with general statement.
> State why it is important.
> State there is a difference of opinion about this topic
> Thesis statement must state what YOUR claim is and can include the "parts" of the argument you are
    going to state.

> Arguments for : The reasons "parts" of your thesis statements will be in your body paragraph.
> Give clear arguments for your claim with support. (examples, statistics, explanations, etc.)
> Use transition words as you move from paragraph to paragraph. ( Firstly, Secondly, Furthermore, 
    In addition, Moreover, Finally)
> You also can use any of the transitions from the other essay types as long as they are appropriate for 
    your argument. (You may want to compare/contrast things, give reasons/results, descriptions,
    definitions, etc.)

> This is also used to support your claim.
> Use the counter arguments to show that your idea is the stronger one.
> Do not focus only on the opposing ideas.

a)When you can think of the opposing opinion but you have not seen it written anywhere :
               could be claimed  
   It         may be asserted that...        However,...
               might be argued
b) When you have seen the opposing opinion written in another text :
    It        has been asserted that....        However,....

> Restate the main claim.
> Present one or two general sentences which accurately summarize your arguments which support the
   main premise
> Provide a general warning of the consequences of not following the premise that you put forward 
    and/or a general statement of how the community will benefit from following that premise.


Article (31/3/2011)

> Refers to a word that come after nouns (A, An, The)
> There are two types of article : 
    a) Definite Article 
        # 'The' is called as the definite article because it points out a particular and specific object or class.
        #  Example : 
            i) I sat on the chair.
           ii) This is the book I was talking about. 
     b) Indefinite Article 
         # A
            - Used to points out an object but not any particular specimen.
            - Used before words beginning with a consonant sound or an aspirated 'h'
            - Example : I have a book.
        # An
           - Used before words beginning with vowel sound.
           - Example : He is an honest person.

Body Paragraph

The body paragraph in your essay support the main idea in your thesis statement by breaking it down into 
smaller ideas or subtopics. Ideas in your paragraphs should relate back to the thesis statement.

Key Features
Body paragraphs should contain some of the following features : 
a) Topic Sentence
    > Every paragraph should have a topic sentence. This is the most important sentence because it expresses
       the main idea of the paragraph.
    > Always to be in the form of complete sentences.
    > Contains the topic of the paragraph and the controlling idea (limits the topic to something very specific).
b) Supporting Sentence 
    > Relate to the ideas in the topic sentence. 
c) Concluding Sentence
    > Last sentence in a paragraph. 
    > A conclusion can remind the reader of the main points of the paragraph and/or leave the reader with
       something about in the relation to topic.
    > Some common expressions used in the concluding sentences are listed below : 
       - As we can see,...                                        - Finally,...
       - In summary,....                                           - Consequently,...
       - These example shows that.....                     - As a result,....
d) Unity
    > Each sentence in the paragraph is related to the topic sentence.
    > Discuss only one main idea

Active and Passive Voice (29/3/2011)

Voice - The form a verb takes to indicate whether the subject of the verb performs or receives the action.
          - There is two types of voice : Active Voice and Passive Voice

> Indicates that the subject of the verb is acting because the subject does or "acts upon" the verb in such 
   sentences, the sentences are said to be the active voice
> Example : i) The computer printed my paper.
                       Explanation : The computer (subject) is doing the printing (verb) 
> Most writer prefers to use active voice because it is more direct.

> The subject is being "acted upon" or is passive
> In a passive voice sentence, the subject and object flip-flop. The subject becomes the passive recipient
   of the action.
> Example : i) The boy was jumped on by the dog.
                      Boy (subject) was being jumped on (verb)
> In general, the passive voice is less direct, less forceful and less concise